Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Butting heads

I'm finally in Estes! Seriously, one of the most beautiful places in the world...well...at least from what I've seen ;). Getting up here though....not so fun. It started out ok, looked a little grey, maybe 45 degrees or so....but..It wouldn't last long. About 25 miles outside of Springs I hit what was without a doubt the last thing I ever wanted to drive a motorcycle through....a blizzard. Well maybe not a "blizzard" blizzard but pretty close...Basically every 15 seconds I would have to leave one hand on the handlebars and use the other to first, wipe off the top 10 inches or so of the windshield and second, wipe the face shield of my helmet...it sucked....plain and simple...I'm pretty sure it was -29 degrees, the weather man says it around 30 but you know how unreliable they can be. I wasn't on some set looking at computer for my answers, I was out there! it was -45! or...-29! whatever. After pushing through that I did make it and unless it gets above 70 I don't even wanna look at my bike.

Ok, So....Butting heads.

It seems to happen all the darn time right? Like no matter what we can't get past conflict. Constantly "butting heads" and picking fights. Why? Why are we so prone to arguing? Why is it so easy to find something wrong with the situation or the person standing in our way. If I can simply prove to them how wrong the are then they'll get out of the way and I can march on to peaceful serenity. Uh hu.

Sometimes I wish that during all those "bad reaction" moments I could be sitting on the front porch listening to the roar of the river smoking some Rocky Mountain Burley.. thinking mostly about what would Jesus do, common sense, doing the right thing etc.....see then I would always react with an "eh, that's ok."... Nothing bothers you! I realized though that in all reality things really can be "ok" and its not only my choice but its also my responsibility, pipe smoke or no pipe smoke, to respond in the way I would want someone to respond to me.

We get all pumped up when people say "Roll with the punches" right? And we're like "Yeeaah, awesome dude"...but what are we rolling with? The times we get in a fender bender and remember "oh yea, i need to roll with this"...or what about the times when whoever it is decides to complain about something you did...again. Or maybe they ask you a question in a tone of voice that was, as far you're concerned, no where near the tone you were looking for. It seems to me like those are the times to "roll with the punches", to just move on and answer the question. NICELY.

Proverbs 19:11- A man's discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression.
Or another translation says that we gain respect by overlooking a wrong. It's right there! Where is "losing it" gonna get you? Malice will simply be punished by neglect. 


Besides, we always tend to do stupid stuff when we react angry. The Chinese say that "If you kick a stone in anger you hurt your own foot"...yeah...nuff said.  

I ran into these Bighorns today and sure enough, as they were walking down the road one of them bumped into other from behind. Not a big bump, just barely. The front one turned around and you would have thought that he had ust lost a chunk of his butt he was so mad.


Now I will say I'm glad he got mad cuz it made for a cool picture but aren't we the same darn way? Like really? I'm gonna turn around throw a fit cuz you bumped into me? Even if it was on purpose. Let it go. They are the ones who get to deal with being antagonistic. You get to make the choice. Every time. Do you take the path that says "P. O'd." or the one that says "No worries"...right or wrong. =/.


Hope ya'll have a good one =)...here's a few more pics from the last couple of days =).




4 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your posts, Caleb :) I love Estes, it is a beautiful part of the country. How can all of that beauty and power not turn your mind to our awesome Creator!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! He made this! He made us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are awesome!!! I LOVE your picture of the motorcycle and the mountain in the back ground! The header picture! :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete